The Half Sister by Sandie Jones



Star rating: 3/5

Sandie Jones' newest novel is a tale about family secrets. 

Summary:

Kate and Lauren's father died last year, and since then, the family has been struggling to stay close. Kate was always much closer with her father than her mother, while Lauren had a very complicated relationship with her father. One day, a young woman shows up claiming to be their half sister - that they shared a father. Kate refuses to believe that her father had an affair, that there must be some other explanation. In the months that follow, Kate and Lauren both dig up many different family secrets in attempts to find some truth. 

Review:

Meh! I was so excited for this one, as I loved The Other Woman, Jones' previous novel. But this was just a flop for me. I can't imagine any grown adult woman being as irrational and immature as Kate, who so adamantly believed that her father was a Good Man that she determined the half sister just had to be their mother's daughter instead? As if she could have just casually hid a pregnancy? Then there's Lauren, who's married to a super abusive jerk, and there's a ton of buildup to some big confrontation happening between the two and then he kind of just goes away. I thought the story was super confusing and all over the place with a really quite unsatisfying ending. I will say that the book did hold my attention, which is really the only reason I can give it three stars. This is much more a family drama than a thriller. 

Comments

Popular Posts