The Dilemma by B.A. Paris



Star rating: 3/5

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC! 

Summary:

Livia has been planning her 40th birthday party for years to make up for the grand wedding she never had. The day of the party has finally come, but it can't be the happy day that Livia and her husband Adam both want it to be. They both have a secret, one that they know will devastate the other. They both just want to get through the party, but how can they laugh and dance as if nothing is wrong knowing what they know? Paris' newest novel is a family drama about the pain that holding in secrets can cause.  

Review:

It seems like Paris has tried to shift gears from intense thrillers to family dramas. Before starting this, I did read enough summaries and reviews to know that this would be pretty different from her previous books, and I went in open-minded. Unfortunately, The Dilemma just didn't work for me. I found the whole premise ridiculous - all this build up for a 40th birthday party? I think this story had a lot of potential to be exciting - both of the "secrets" were indeed devastating, though one certainly far worse than the other - but I just don't think it was told right. I kept waiting for some big moment or twist that just didn't come. Overall, this is a well-written novel but fell rather flat for me. I recommend giving it a chance if you're a fan of Liane Moriarty and Sally Hepworth. The Dilemma will be available to the public on June 30, 2020! 

Comments

Popular Posts