The Death of Vivek Oji by Akwaeke Emezi

 


Star rating: 5/5

Emezi's highly-anticipated new novel outlines the difficulties for the LGBTQIA+ population living in Nigeria, and the complexities of love. 

Summary:

Vivek Oji has died. He was a mysterious boy, and his death is equally mysterious - his mother found him dead at their front door, bloody and wrapped in fabric. Wrecked by grief, she is determined to figure out what happened to him, even if the answer is terrifying. 
Our story jumps around on the timeline, filling in gaps of Vivek's life, his secrets, his close relationship with his cousin. This story is ultimately about love, in all of its forms. 

Review:

"I know what they say about men who allow other men to penetrate them. Ugly things; ugly words. Calling them women, as if that's supposed to be ugly, too. I'd heard it since secondary school, and I knew what that was supposed to make me. Less than a man -- something disgusting, something weak and shameful. But if that pleasure was supposed to stop me from being a man, then fine. They could have it. I'd take the blinding light of his touch, the blessed peace of having him so close, and I would stop being a man. I was never one to begin with, anyway." 

What just happened to my heart?! I can't believe how much I love this book. Vivek is one of the most beautiful literary characters I have ever had the pleasure to read about. A beautiful, true, honest, gentle soul. This book is a harsh and heartbreaking reminder that love is about acceptance. 
Am I ultimately disappointed and upset by how Vivek died? Yes. But I understand it. I understand the message. I won't say anything else for the sake of spoilers. 
This is a thoughtfully and brilliantly written piece of art. I highly recommend it! 

Comments

Popular Posts