We Came Here to Shine by Susie Orman Schnall




Star rating: 3.5/5
"Being a bold and determined girl is neither good nor bad. It depends on how you use it."

Summary:
Set during the 1939's World Fair in New York City, this unique piece of historical fiction addresses feminism, women in the workplace, and the value of friendship. 
Vivi Holden, an up-and-coming movie star, is disappointed after reassigned by her agent from a lead role in a movie to the World Fair's Aquacades. Max Roth, an aspiring journalist, is equally disappointed after being assigned to the World Fair's publication for her summer job instead of the New York Times, as she had been hoping. She is even more devastated to learn that she won't actually get to write any articles. The two women meet by chance at the festival and become fast friends. Though the two are very different, they are both dealing with the difficulties of being women working in male-dominated industries, and they help one another make tough decisions, stand up for themselves, and find their own way. 

Review:
I can honestly say I've never read another book like We Came Here to Shine. I am a huge fan of historical fiction, and it was refreshing to find a piece that is not centered around a war. I also know very little about both the World Fair and water ballet, so I started out excited to learn more. 
My first impression of this book was that it gave me serious Dirty Dancing vibes, but with water dancing, and with the focus being more on friendship than romance. I read this over a span of days with sweltering 90-degree-heat, so the parts that centered around Vivi's Aquapades made me want to be right there in the water next to her. I loved the descriptions of the fair - the attractions, the food, the important visitors, the grandiosity of it all.  
However, this book fell short for me in a number of ways. I felt that the time period wasn't accurately portrayed - it often felt like a modern story plopped into 1939 with a few details changed. One of the reasons I tend to love historical fiction is the feeling of being immersed in a different era, and this book just didn't do that for me. Furthermore, many aspects of the plot simply felt unbelievable or unnecessary, like "Frank the Villain." Even Vivi and Max's friendship, which is arguably the whole point of the story, felt forced. 
Overall, while fans of historical fiction may find the believability factor lacking, this book was a perfectly pleasant summer read and a truly unique story. I recommend We Came Here to Shine for fans of Kristen Hannah and Marie Benedict. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC - this book will be available to the public on June 16 2020!

Comments

Popular Posts