The Other Mrs. by Mary Kubica



Star rating: 4/5

In the highly-anticipated new novel by Mary Kubica, an unreliable narrator has us as readers questioning what we're told right to the very end. 

Summary: 
Sadie and Will Foust have just moved from Chicago to a coastal town in Maine with their two sons, following the apparent suicide of Will's sister, and Will's niece Imogen has been placed in their care. The family sees this as a fresh start, alluding to a series of painful events that recently happened in Chicago, including school bullying and infidelity. As if this family hasn't been through enough stress, shortly after moving into their new home, their neighbor is murdered. 
Feeling unsafe in her own home, Sadie becomes obsessed with solving Morgan's murder. With the story being told from multiple perspectives, we're taken on a series of twists and turns before finally finding out who killed Morgan - and why. 

Review: 
I have been a huge Mary Kubica fan for years. While admittedly I haven't loved her last few publications, I'm a "once a fan, always a fan" kind of girl, so I was excited to read her next story. 
When reading a thriller, I usually try to predict the twist (or twists) within the first 30 pages or so. If I'm wrong - if the ending isn't that predictable - it passes my test. 
My first impression with this book was that the character of Imogen was emphasized to be deeply unlikeable, so much so that I almost stopped reading. However, I ventured on and determined that she had to be a red herring. So the question remained, who is the lurking villain? Without spoiling anything, I will say that The Other Mrs. both did and did not pass my test. With this story, Kubica did a brilliant job of blurring the lines between "good" and "bad" people, as almost all of the characters in this book have done questionable things. While many of the predictions I made in the beginning were technically correct, they weren't fully correct. 
In short, just when you think you've figured out where this story is going, another twist will prove you wrong. Fans of Gone Girl, The Girl on the Train and The Woman in the Window won't be able to put this one down! 

Comments

Popular Posts